Fifty Shades of Grey
PBR Book Review:This is book 1 in a trilogy billed as “mommy porn” and “Twilight” for grown-ups, and it's hot right now. It’s topping the NY Times e-book best seller list, making news headlines in print and TV and movie rights have already been sold. Print editions are currently limited, so to date most of the hype is based on the e-book version. To be sure, this is not a book for everyone. Although tastefully done, the sex scenes are descriptive, abundant and graphic. It’s a love story revolving around a young inexperienced girl and a venturesome, damaged extremely intoxicating young man whose sexual preference are cutting edge– he’s into BDSM as in bondage, discipline, dominance, submissive. Part of the draw of this book is the forbidden love, but on another level, the reader is also totally taken with the two main characters, Christian and Anastasia and needs to know what happens. Can they find common ground and still have their needs met? Can Anastasia truly enter his world and can Christian learn to love and trust? In short this is a fun, addicting read that will push the limits and explore new horizons for the majority of its audience.
Book Club Talking Points: Talking Points:
This is a book that will spark converstion like no other - on many levels, for many reasons and it's not just about the sex. It's a fresh witty look about courtship and compromise, written in a delightful style. It's about how the past shapes our present and how one person challenges another in a relationship. The characters are endearing and unpreidictable making it a fun enchanting read. Recommend for book clubs that enjoy a good romance novel (and perhaps are willing to explor new avenues - the sex is after all, right out there in this book)
*Author Website: http://www.eljamesauthor.com/
*Other Books by Same Author: "Fifty Shades Darker - Book Two of the Fifty Shades Trilogy", "Fifty Shades Freed- Book three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy"
1. Talk about the genre of erotica fiction and the straightforward and graphic descriptions of sex in this book. What effect did the writing style and playful tone of the book have on these scenes?
2. Discuss the feelings that surfaced as your read about submissive/dominant relationships. Did it pique your curiosity? Did anything shock or offend you?
3. The book is marketed as “steamy erotica for suburban housewives”. Is this accurate? Do you think reading about intense sexual encounters enhances the sexual experience? Of the many sex scenes discuss your favorite or least favorite?
4. Discuss the meaning and significance of the book’s title. What do you think accounts for the overwhelming popularity of this book?
5. For the majority of people, the sex described pushes the limits of normal. With this in mind, were you able to relate to the human condition underlying the experiences? For example, did you understand the desire for this kind of experience and why each character was drawn to this?
6. Anastasia was surprised when she enjoyed and wanted more of the kinky sex. Discuss the implications of this? Do you think guilt or her lack of experience played into these feelings?
7. Did you feel a strong connection to either Christian or Anastasia? Did you find yourself siding with one more than the other?
8. What was your initial impression of Christian? As more of his background and personality was revealed, did your opinion of him change? Did his actions in any way surprise you? What is your favorite Christian phrase?
9. The author does an excellent job of weaving family drama into the story. For example, Anastasia has a strong bond with her stepfather and Christian is strongly attached to Mia and his parents. How important do you think this is to the story in general? How important were these bonds to Anastasia and Christian’s ability to form relationships?
10. Discuss the relationship Anastasia had with her mother? Did her mother offer enough of what is considered traditional motherly support? Was her influence on Anastasia more positive than negative? How do you think her mother felt about Anastasia’s relationship with Ray? Do you think either Anastasia or her mother had any regrets about the way things turned out?
11. There was a wonderful cast of supporting characters in this book. Who was your favorite and why.
12. What actor do you see playing the role of Christian and Ana?
(Questions by PBR. Please feel free to use them with acknowledgment.)
Vintage - May 25, 2012 - 380 pages ISBN: 1612130283|
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms;Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires;Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.